Looking for a quick hairstyle for Christmas or New Years? This modified perm rod set will give you instant voluminous curls without sacrificing moisture or quality ingredients!
Though they have gorgeous results, I don’t do perm rod sets on wet hair that frequently because 1. they require a half a billion rods 2. they take forever to dry and 3. because my hair is thick and I’m always in a rush, they almost always never dry completely, leaving me with puffy roots and tangled ends. I had an idea to hack the perm rod set by braiding the roots of my hair first, and to my pleasant surprise, it came out really well! Here’s how I did it:
- Shampoo twice with Catherine Marion Earth Clay Cleansing Shampoo
- Deep condition with Catherine Marion Moringa Infused Softening Conditioner under a plastic cap for 30 minutes.
- Rinse with lukewarm water, and cover hair with another plastic cap until ready to style (P.S. This slows down the process of your hair drying out, perfect for my fellow high-porosity naturals!)
- Section hair and apply Catherine Marion Moisturizing Aloe Vera Leave-In Conditioner, then detangle and trim if necessary.
- Smooth Catherine Marion Moisture Seal Oil to each section
- Braid down one inch, rolling each strand of the braid on a white perm rod
- Dry for one hour using Tyche Even F Heat Cap Attachment For Dryer, then continue drying overnight
- Separate, unravel, and fluff!
As usual, there’s a YouTube video of the process if you want to see for yourself!
If you want to copy this style, you can use any products but be sure to start with clean and well moisturized hair. You don’t want to use a heavy gel because that will leave your hair stiff, but you can mix a little gel or custard with your leave in for more hold. It was my first time trying the Catherine Marion brand, which was created by two Nigerian sisters, and I ended up really liking how the products made my hair feel. Everything is truly 100% natural – no parabens, sulfates, perfumes, or even dyes – so they feel light but are packed with power; the leave-in alone is what gave me this bomb definition! You can buy Catherine Marion products on their website, CatherineMarion.com.
Liked this style? Check out my perm rod set done on blow dried hair.
Photography by Taylor Carment.
This post is in partnership with Catherine Marion. Thanks for supporting the brands that support Klassy Kinks!